Follow your Heart

      "Sweetie come downstairs, you do not want to get late for your first day at your guitar lesson," said my mom. "I will be there in just a minute," I said as I put on my clothes. As I sat sluggishly in the back of my dad's car I thought of how great the guitar lesson might turn out to be.
  
    "Honey, are you excited? I have heard your teacher is very friendly," my dad said.
 Once we got there I struggled to put a smile on my face. For some reason just looking at the place made me feel like I didn't belong there at all. "Hi my name is Mr. Bowman and I will be teaching you the guitar," said my guitar teacher in a very fancy way.

   "Hi my name is Hayleigh," I said trying to lift my hand to shake his hand. Looking at his hands I saw bristle and line marks. He said those marks were from the guitar strings. Once we got started  I felt like I could doze off,  but it will show my dad that I never wanted to play the guitar. For the next 30 minutes, Mr. Bowman tried to explain me these 4 chords A, G, D, and F. "Now we have to put all these chords together in a song," said Mr. Bowman. I wished I paid more attention when he was explaining the chords. For the next 20 minutes, I struggled to play and read the notes. After very long 30 minutes, Mr. Bowman said: "Ok class is over, now remember to practice every day for 30 minutes". 

   When I got in the car my dad said, "how was the class?" "Well it was okay," I said in a gloomy voice. Once I got home I ran upstairs to my room to avoid any conversation. "Hey honey how was your first class," said my mom."It was great mom and the teacher is very nice" I said. I got up to my room to change into my basketball clothes. It is one thing that keeps me away from thinking about things that happened in the past. 
  "Hey little bro, a little one on one in basketball ?" I said to my little brother."Yeah why not," said my little brother.

   Time passed away as me and my brother were playing basketball together. "Hey kids come inside for dinner," said my mom. 
As we settled down for dinner my dad said to me "after dinner why don't you and I go practice that new song Mr. Bowman taught you." 
As my dad and I went upstairs I said,"hey dad I am a bit exhausted." "Of course honey, we can practice that tomorrow," said my dad. As I was in my room getting ready for bed my brother walked in saying," When dad said at the dinner table to practice your song your reaction was as if you didn't want to play the guitar.""No little bro it's nothing like that, " I replied. 

    Evey guitar class I go to, I drift more and more away. It's like I am awake but my brain just shuts down. When dad tells me to practice, I start to forget what I am doing. As time passed my brother gets more and more curious. I think I have forgotten who I truly am. The notes the lines the confusing movement has almost taken over me. I knew sooner than later I have to tell my parents I didn't like playing the guitar. I just have no idea how I am going to tell them. This would be the seconde thing I am quitting to do. 
   
   "Honey, Honey where are you?" said my mother looking for me. "There you are I have been looking for you all over the place," my mother said as she opened the back door where I was playing basketball. "Ok, anyways you are going to get late for Guitar class," said my mom. "Actually wait, mom, I really didn't want to play the guitar. I kind of just did to make you guys happy. I didn't want to tell you because I asked you guys to me out of swimming class. Then I thought about it for a while and I didn't want to waste money on something I don't have an interest in," I said hoping my mother wouldn't get mad at me. 

   For about a minute there was silence between me and my mother. "Why didn't you just said so, anyways thank you for being honest," said my mom give me a tight squeeze. 
"Well mom I would like to take basketball classes," I said. 
"Then we will put you in basketball classes, but just Follow your Heart," my mother replied.   

Comments

  1. This is probably one of my favorite article you wrote so far. Very well written and you have express the feelings of a kid how she struggles to pick her fav. hobby instead of choosing what people want her to choose. Being your Mom I absolutely love all your writings...Looking forward to read more of your creative thinking :) ...keep writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sayna,

    Thank you for sending me the link to your blog! I loved reading your story! You have such great description and really "slowed down" the right parts of the narrative! Did anything in your life inspire this story? I can't wait to read what you write next!

    Love,
    Miss Sarnacki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miss Sarnacki, and this story is based on my life experience from when I started playing the guitar and how I really didn't have my heart in it. This story kind of shows how important it is to Follow your heart.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Biggest Challenges Immigrants Face in the United States

What the World Gains from Optimism